Great Start to Quality uses the Program Quality Assessment (PQA) tools from the HighScope Educational Research Foundation for on-site assessments.
The PQA used for your program will be at least one of the following:
- The Infant-Toddler PQA
- The Preschool PQA
- The Family Child Care PQA
If you receive a 4 or 5 Star validation, you will be required to have an on-site assessment before you receive your published rating.
- You will be contacted by a member of the Great Start to Quality team to gather information and answer any of your questions.
- The on-site assessment is unannounced and unscheduled. The goal is to complete the assessment during a typical day at your program, so you have the chance to give a small number of dates you know will not be a typical day for you (i.e. field trip days).
- If you are not able to or choose not to have the on-site assessment completed at that time, you will be eligible to receive a 3 Star or Empty Star until you are ready to complete the process.
- After the assessment is complete, you will receive your results from a Quality Improvement consultant from your local Great Start to Quality Resource Center.
What to Expect
For additional guidance on what happens beforem during, and after your on-site assessment, you can refer to What to Expect During Your On-Site Assessment.
On-Site Assessment Guidance Document
The On-Site Assessment Guidance Document prepares you for the on-site assessment of Great Start to Quality and assists you with understanding your results and answering any questions you may have about the assessment process.